Friday, February 19, 2016

Hockey Star

I went to Easton's hockey game last weekend with Auntie Mary.  It had been about 2 weeks since I've watched him play (Raya will sit still for about 10 minutes....while I shove fruit snacks in her mouth... and then she will not stop going up and down the stairs so it's next to impossible to watch him).  Anyways, I was/am SO incredibly impressed with how much he improved - and I thought he was great 2 weeks ago.  I know, I know, I am biased because I am his Mother and I adore him and of course he's the best in my eyes.  But seriously, this kid has some mad skills for a 4 year (almost 5) old.  He was skating fast, passing the puck to his teammates, scoring goals (even backhand), stopping on a dime, hopping around on those skates like it's nothing and he has some mad stick handling skills.  He's going to be skating circles around these mites next year.  Very proud of him - he really listens to Jake when they're out practicing together.  This wasn't the best winter to utilize the ice rink in our neighborhood but they did get out a few times.  His love for hockey has exploded since he joined mites this year!  

Another skill he's really excelled at in the past month is reading.  He has picked up on it so fast.  He started out by reading the books Grandma Cathy makes and then moved on to Dr. Seuss books and now he'll pick up any book in the house and read it.  Of course there's words we still need to help him with but every day he surprises me with new words he can read.  It's really fun when we're driving and he'll read sings on buildings or the side of the road.  Grandma Cathy thinks he's reading at about the end of 1st grade level.  If you ask Easton he'll say he's reading like a 5th grader :)  He sure makes me proud! 

Easton absolutely loves Raya.  I will catch him saying things to her when they're playing like "you're so sweet" and "I love you, Raya."  Melts my heart!  Of course he's also a pro at picking on her but that's what big brothers are for.  They both fight for attention and Easton loves to be the boss of Raya - not surprising because he does not like it that Mom and Dad are the boss of him.  Hmmm.... rebelling against authority... who could he ever have gotten that from?  

I can't believe he is going to be 5 years old in 2 weeks.  I also can't believe we have Kindergarten round-up in a month!  So crazy to start thinking about Kindergarten.  Hopefully it won't be too much of a change for him since he's doing all day preschool right now.  I'm really hoping that one of his preschool friends will be attending the same elementary school as him.  I think that would really help his transition to a new school.  He's already talking about riding the bus to school which makes me incredibly nervous.  We only live 1.2 miles from the school so he wouldn't ride it long or far but I would still be paranoid if he made it to school and if he got off the bus at the right stop and if he made it to his classroom.  I will be crazy mom following the school bus and hiding in the bushes outside of the school to make sure it went OK.  (I'm not joking... this will probably happen).  I know that once Kindergarten starts the years are just going to be a whirlwind.  They've already whizzed by but I feel like once they start elementary school it's just a blink of an eye before they're in middle school and then dreaded high school and then (break moms heart) off to college!  Although he has expressed to me multiple times that he is going to live with me at home forever.  He doesn't want to move away.  I'm okay with that - for now! :)  

Preschool has been going great for him.  I think he gets pretty tired from it though.  There's some days that we start bath time around 6:30 because he's so exhausted.  But he needs that constant go-go-go throughout the day to burn off all his energy.  When I pick him up at 4, he's in the gym still running around like a wild man.  Where does he get this energy?  We're also pretty certain he doesn't have a future in medicine (at least not as as doctor).  At one point this year Easton cut his finger at school with a scissors - a very minor cut - and this teacher emailed me asking if he has an aversion to blood because he got super pale and upset about it.  Another strange thing - a friend of his threw up at the lunch table and Easton wouldn't eat for 2 weeks at school and was very upset about it if anyone asked him to talk about it.  They ended up moving him to a different table and he was able to eat again.  We think he was too terrified that the kid was going to throw up again that he wouldn't eat his food.  And about a week ago another student threw up in the classroom and the teacher emailed me saying Easton was very upset about this and all he wanted was his Mom.  Well, that night when he got home we talked about it and then he threw up.  So, at first we thought he must have gotten this stomach bug as well.  But he was not acting sick in any other way.  Just complained of his tummy hurting...this went on for about a week.  I think he just can't handle seeing other people get sick.  Again, I think he get's this from me.  Hospitals terrify me.  Sorry buddy. 

We're still going gluten free with him.  He's been acting out a bit more lately but I think he's just going through a phase of testing us and also a mixture of exhaustion.  He's definitely a champ at talking back to his Mom and Dad.  That is something we've been really struggling with.  Maybe someday he'll get the concept but he just does not like to be told what to do.  But the meltdowns are much quicker and he's able to calm down faster - as opposed to when he was filled with gluten - there was no calming him down... it took hours.  

He's still wearing his glasses and never complains about having to wear them.  I take this as meaning they must be really helping him.  He even occasionally asks to put them on if he's not wearing them  But he typically wears them all day every day....unless he's playing hockey or battling with Dad.

Easton is so funny - the things that come out of his mouth on a daily basis are hilarious! Now he's starting to make-up his own Knock-knock jokes which are ridiculous and almost always involve poop.  Boys!  

Things Easton loves:
  • Hockey
  • Raya
  • Cereal
  • Riding his bike
  • Reading
  • Learning new things - he's constantly asking a million questions
  • Swimming lessons 
  • Battling with Dad
  • Cuddling with Mom and Raya 
  • iPad
  • Monster Trucks
  • Super heroes 
Easton does not love:
  • Bedtime
  • Being alone in a room or going anywhere in the house alone 
  • Being told he can't do something
  • Meatloaf (I've tried to trick him so many times into eating it... never works)
This will be my last post before this gets turned into a new book for Easton. I really hope I can get better at updating this blog.  I'm sure he'll be 5 the next time you hear from me.  :)

Ice Castles

Easton loved going down the slides at the Ice Castles

Ice Castles

Wild game 

Warn out after the Wild game

In awe...

Adult night out

Outdoor hockey practice

Outdoor hockey practice 

So much love for Raya

Gymnastics with Dad (wait...shouldn't Mom be doing this?)

Easton LOVES his baby sister

Making valentines 


Shaking hands with the other team


He's a natural

Hockey game

Bath time fun

Pretending to take a nap

Cuties 

Yes, he's holding a mirror.  Yes, he's investigating his nipple.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Hero's in a half shell

Watching a movie

Sister wearing big brothers (clean) underwear

Oh Charles 

Out for a bike ride on a warm February day

A valentine a girl in Easton's class made for him

Still loves to wear his halloween costume from when he was 2

No comments: