Monday, October 7, 2013

Change isn't easy

Well Easton has officially been in Preschool for about a month now.  It's not going as great as we expected, unfortunately.  He's so ready academically and I think they're pretty impressed with him as he knows all colors, days of the week, count to 30, shapes, abc's, a handful of letters and is able to trace letters etc... etc... I'll stop bragging now.  ;)  But he's really struggling socially.  It doesn't help that I was painfully shy as a child and I'm pretty sure his Dad was too.  So, he got the short end of the stick on that one.  I am working with him and doing everything I can to try and help him overcome this because I know how hard it is to be that shy as a child.  And of course my Counselor hat is always on so I know transitions are not easy on kids like him so I am going to work some Counseling magic while I can (before he figures out it's not cool to learn from Mom).  He was the King of the Hill in the toddler room and practically ran the show.  The Teachers always commented on how he kept all the other kids in line all the time.  He was the oldest, most mature and everyone loved him.  Now he's the youngest, new kid and learning a whole new routine.  Although he is officially potty trained and I can't remember the last time he had an accident at home (and rarely had one in the toddler room)... he has had an accident almost every day in preschool :(  Apparently in preschool the kids go in the bathroom by themselves (which I think is absurd that they think a 2.5 year old can handle that...and yes, I let them know that) so I think that is playing a big part in the accidents.  Plus he takes awhile to warm up to new people and isn't comfortable with the new teachers yet.  In fact, I think he's slightly scared of them.  Breaks my heart.  I told them I'd give them one more week before we talk about other options because he absolutely LOVED his toddler teacher and she loved him (she started crying on Friday talking to me about how much she misses Easton in her room).  This teacher was going to be the new preschool teacher (which is why I agreed to him moving up early in the first place).  But of course things change and she is no longer moving to the preschool room.  I think it'll be fine in the end...just need to give it more time and we really need to work on encouraging him to be more socially outgoing.  The new kids in his room seem to really like him but he's just so shy and can barley talk to them.  Again, heart is breaking.  He will learn so much in this room though because they have a full morning of structured learning and he gets to play soccer some days in the afternoon.  He had his first day of soccer today but he told me he didn't like it.  I think it was just another new thing.  So, again, maybe with time. 

Other than all that - nothing much is new with us.  We went to Duluth the other weekend for a last minute get away.  Easton loved seeing the trains, ships, lift-bridges and tunnels.

Easton still continues to make us laugh non-stop.  I'll share with you a couple dialogues that I can remember off hand.  Simply hilarious. 

Me: "What do you want for dinner?"  (talking to Jake)
Easton: "Ummm... beer!"

When we were in Duluth we were sitting outside a restaurant waiting to be seated and a little blond boy sits on the bench across from us and out of no where Easton says, "Is that my Brother?" hahahaha whaaaaat?!

Oh, well that's all I have for now... apparently can't remember much off hand!  

Turned his four-wheeler into a tow truck

Loves pointing out the letter "o" in words.

Somehow Easton scored the king size bed

Easton wanted to sit on the bench and watch the birds (Jake and I were just praying the pigeons wouldn't poop on us).


No comments: